Monday, February 12, 2007

Thanks goodness for uneventful days

Monday, Day 4 after chemo and still kicking. Each morning I lay in bed when I wake up and ask myself "Do my bones hurt yet?" So far, the answer is still "no", thank heavens. Tomorrow at 6:00am is the last dose, for this chemo round, of my 4 day "heavy duty" nausea drugs. I guess the experts think the 4 days after chemo are when you need them to most. Hopefully, tomorrow morning I will be over that hurdle.

Today my bloodwork was pretty good, except a little low on potassium, and so I did not have to get fluids. I am drinking lots of Gatorade cut with water, eating bananas, dried apricots, and everything else we could find that WebMD says has a decent level of potassium. I find it is a lot easier to drink gallons and get to a bathroom when you are not "wired" up. I am not sure how I am going to handle that when I am back calling on agencies again.

This is my first day in 8 days to not have an IV, although they did use a needle for blood 3 other times today. For some reason my port is happy to take drugs, but it fights to give up any blood. I got to come home after the PET Scan and have an afternoon here. I did get a little work done, and put some things into place to really get things up and running from my home office, should I be so lucky tomorrow.

I got a few new eyebrows today, but not nearly as many as I usually do. I have an appointment to get fitted for a wig sometime next week. I had to get a "cranial prosthesis" prescription from my doctor and fax over my health insurance card before they would even give me an appointment. Wigs can be incredibly expensive, I discovered - about the same as 2 years of hair cut and color. I do have a set amount covered by health insurance so that's good. You'll have to decide when you see me if I went for the upscale Buckhead salon version, or the Fantastic Sam's variety. I have decided this wig appointment will be one Bob will miss and sister Sydney will take me. While there is not much dignity left in our relationship with all he has had to do for me, he is out of all hair making decisions.

PET Scan results on Wednesday. Yikes.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good morning Geri....sounds like you are handling things well...and still have your sense of humor. This is a wonderful way to stay up to date with you...am anxiouly awaiting the wig decision! Please keep up the great attitude...think about you every day and say my prayers for your speedy recovery...got to get going have a real busy day ahead of me....love you, Jamie

Anonymous said...

Geri, I'm sure Syd will not let you go wrong on the wig decision. Can't wait to see what hair you would choose now that you actually have a choice. Love, Angela

Anonymous said...

Be sure to post the WIG picture!

Michele R