Sunday, February 25, 2007

What fun!

For me work has always been pretty fun, but nothing has been better than last week
(even Connections Auto - which only my work friends will understand)! It was great to be normal --although my friend Angela and I usually have great (although not too deep) philosophical discussions on "What is normal?". She did send me a magnet that said "Normal is just a setting on the washing machine". That is probably correct. But if there is another "normal" , I had it last week. I was out there working, and it was so much fun! I really miss it! How lucky I am to be able to say that after working at the same place for 25 years!

I came home exhausted and too tired to blog! Sorry! I have kept it low key all weekend (although 2 more trips to Publix - don't sell your stock!) and went for a little walk yesterday. I am trying really hard to stay healthy for tomorrow - 2nd round of chemo. I don't want to risk anything healthwise to make them delay it.

I am really happy with the wig! My friend Yonnie, who I have worked with for over 20 years, went with me to get it, so she acted as my "cut" consultant! Bob may take a picture later and post it. Actually, the wig is actually how I would wear my hair, if me hair would do that. Maybe the new texture will allow that when it grows back! My head is a little sensitive and itchy now so I have not worn it much and have been sticking to hats and caps mostly. But once I really get out again, I will have it on. I have to get my money's worth (I am not telling how much!) out of it!

So here is a good thing about having a serious illness - Earlier this week I was in an alterations shop having some pants altered. There were a couple of other women in the store that heard me talking to the shop owner about chemo (the cap and no hair were a dead giveaway). These two strangers, who approached me, were so nice, supportive and caring that it really warmed my heart. They had friends and family members going through the same thing and were very empathetic and understanding. If I had had hair, we would have never even had a conversation. They asked for the blog address and gave me their phone numbers, and they actually live in neighborhoods near by. So good things do happen from bad. People are just wonderful everywhere you look!

Tomorrow is filled with chemo and conference calls, but I think I have timed the calls just right as long as everything is "normal". They really keep my mind off the chemo! Keep your fingers crossed that round two will be as smooth as round 1!

Katie - tried to respond to your email but it would not let me. Send me an email direct to my email address -- grtape@bellsouth.net.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Geri,

Your new "Do" does look wonderful - very chic! I look forward to reading your blog - you're the one going through all this but I'm the one who feels uplifted by your very positive philosophy and perspective about it all. You have a growing fan club! I'll be thinking about you as you begin round two and remembering you in my prayers.

Love,

Vickie Hayes

Anonymous said...

Geri: And the winner and still champion of Round 1 (in a knockout punch) will now begin round 2 with similarly wonderful results! Go, go, go, go!!!! Love, Angela

Anonymous said...

Geri,
I think that the wig looks absolutely beautiful. But only as beautiful as the person wearing it!! Good luck today!
Love ya girl, Jessica Moss

Anonymous said...

Your hair looks great, it really does! You remain in my prayers.
Kim @ BBandT

Anonymous said...

Hiya Aunty Geri,
Lovely to talk to you just then, your hair looks really great, i love it. Good luck for tomorrow.
Love you lots and lots
Love from
Anna
xxx
P.S Julie has just popped down she says hello and she likes your hair too.

Anonymous said...

Geri,

Your new Do looks great, I'm keeping good thoughts for round 2

Today was my last day of work, pharmacy is closing wednesday.

If you are up for a walk or talk call me.

Nancy S.

Anonymous said...

Geri,
Your new "do" looks great on you - it definitely suits you! I never knew you tried the OJ container trick...

Sam turned 11 today (remember that early delivery day many moons ago?)

We send our love and best wishes your way.

Kellie and the boys...all three :)