Well it is not pneumonia. When I asked the doctor, (now know as Doc M) "Is there any chance this is something other than cancer?" he told me there is about a 5% chance it is something else. Since the %'s don't seem to go my way, I did not even ask what the "something else" would be.
With my history, it is likely sarcoma that has moved from my leg to my lung. That is where sarcoma goes. In fact, he said if it is sarcoma, I could have this surgery 4 or 5 times in my life time as the tumors seem to pop up every now and then and you go in and take them out. More about the surgery later. However, there is a possibility that it is a primary new lung cancer. About 8% of women in my age group, who have never smoked, still get lung cancer. It is even possible that one leision is lung cancer and the other sarcoma. If either is lung cancer, they will remove lymph nodes to see if it spread. They do not do that with sarcoma, as it does not spread to the lymph system. We will know during surgery what kind of cancer it is as they will do a frozen section then and there.
Before surgery I have to have two tests --one on my heart and the other on my lung capacity. I guess they are a type of screening test prior to surgery --probably next Monday. Of course I am having the PET scan on Thursday. Doc M is booked for the next 3 weeks so I will not be able to have surgery before then unless somebody cancels. The surgery is a little different than I expected. They will cut(I thought is might be done laproscopically -have no idea how to spell that) me open about where my bra is on the side and about 5 inches or so. I will be in the hospital about 5 days. He said recovery is 3 to 4 weeks. Later I stopped him in the hall to get more info on recovery. I described my job, and he said I would feel like working 3 or 4 hours per day, from my house, even the day I got home. He discussed no heavy lifting etc., and driving, probably after a couple of weeks,(I assume depends on how much pain medicine I am own). I asked him could I go to either Birmingham or Destin for Thanksgiving, and he said "sure". I am guessing the surgery would be a week or two before then. He said I possibly could even go to England at Christmas--if I felt like it. I will be plenty sore from them spreading my ribs apart. His perspective of travel and healing time was based on surgery alone-not any after treatment. The chemo Doctor (Dr. Saba) will decide what happens next and when. For sure, if it is a new cancer and in the lymph system, there will be more chemo. If they are both sarcoma, they could just watch it and do CT scans every 3 months (which they will do for sure) and do chemo or not. I will see Dr. Saba on Nov 5 for an appmt we had set up previously anyway. I thought my cell type, pleomorphic, was the most aggressive type of sarcoma, and I was glad to hear from Doc M that it is moderate. Now what that means for treatment of this cancer, I do not know. Everything is really up in the air.
Knowing that is it is not pneumonia does go ahead and resolve some issues. I won't stay awake nights with false hope any more. I know it is cancer; I just don't know what kind. Of course now I am worried about the PET scan and fear that every area of my body will light up indicating cancer. At least from that we will know what all we are dealing with and how to tackle it.
There are a couple of good things about surgery being 3 weeks away. I can get my leg closer to being healed by then. It gives me 3 weeks to take care of some things around the house and work that I really want to handle. And likely it will give me some almost "normal" days before I start healing from something else. The bad thing is that I have to wait that much longer before I know when I am dealing with, AND I have to buy candy and open the door on Halloween! I am not a Halloween fan. I was never good at coming up with ideas for Halloween costumes. I don't like costume parties either. I really thought I would be having surgery then and miss the whole thing!
How am I handling this? Some minutes are really bad, and others I just try to perservere and figure out what to do next. Bob is very calm, logical and just takes things as they come. That keeps me a little more calm too. I don't know that he is really that way inside, but that is what I see and it has always been this way. In the meantime, I am going to just keep doing what I do -- work, hangout with Bob and friends and go on with my life. I will do my best to take things as they come and not play the "what if" game. It is hard but it is all I can do.
In the meantime, my tennis team won their division and playoffs start Saturday. I will be down at our courts to cheer them on. I am on the road working tomorrow and will be out alot next week, locally. I have not scheduled appointments for then as I won't know till Thursday when my heart and lung tests will be. I will be able to work on that Friday.
So it looks like the blog goes on. I will be okay but it looks like my road to recovery is a little longer than I expected. I feel like I am running a race, and they keep moving the finish line. At least I am still in the race!
Tuesday, October 23, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
15 comments:
What Cancer Cannot Do
Author: Unknown
Cancer is so limited...
It cannot cripple love.
It cannot shatter hope.
It cannot corrode faith.
It cannot eat away peace.
It cannot destroy confidence.
It cannot kill friendship.
It cannot shut out memories.
It cannot silence courage.
It cannot reduce eternal life.
It cannot quench the Spirit.
Geri,
I am thinking of you and your new challenge. I hope all goes well.
You have the most awesome attitude about the whole thing.
Vanessa and Peter say hello.
Love Sara
Geri, You have been running this race and are doing so at the front of the pack as far as I am concerned!! I am continuing to pray BIG for you. May you have some peace and may this be the kind that is easiest to treat...Sounds as if Sarcoma is the easiest to treat from what you have shared. Keep us posted on what is going on. Hugs from me to you and you still are an inspiration to me!!
Lots of love from Angie's little sis,
Tina :))
Hey Geri,
That's not of course the news you or we expected to hear either...therefore I am at this moment at a loss for words that are printable. So in that even just picture me hanging out with you, Bob and your other friends too. Quiet but supportive and 'there'.
On one subject I can offer a useful suggestion. I won't be home this Halloween and my husband is panicking. So I got him a witches cauldron to fill with candy, leave on the table on the front porch with a Happy Halloween sign and request for the goblins and ghouls to help themselves to one. It's worked for me several times. And I imagine kids are no less polite down south.
Hang in there!
Dawn
Geri,
You continue to amaze me with your great attitude. I have been meaning to call you but my life seems to be running me instead of the other way around. Every time I think I have things under control, something else happens.
I have you in my prayers daily. I will call you today and maybe we can get CPK soon.
Keep on running, you are right, you are still in the race!
Lisa
Geri: Please keep up the positive state of mind--I'm sure it makes a difference. But, I know, too, that at times you'll just be depressed about this whole thing--who wouldn't be? Whatever comes, I am sure you will get through this. All my prayers are for sooner rather than later. Much love, Angela
Hello my "Viking", news was not what I was hoping to read, but I know Geri, she is a fighter from way back. Keep your dreams intact and live each day as you have done in the past (before the big C). I know Dr. Bob will be there for you and so will all your friends and siblings. They are the best. You will always be in our thoughts and prayers. Love Jackie & Mac
Geri,
We have been and will be right by your side....don't ever forget that.....especially when you do (and you will) cross that finish line. You are my hero.
Love you,
Cindy
Geri,
Hang tough, we're all with you and praying very hard. (I loved the poem -what a great way to gain perspective).
Love to you all,
Vickie Hayes
I am so glad you told me about the blog. Now I can talk to you. It was wonderful seeing you and everyday you are being prayed for...You contiue to be an inspiration and a fighter.
I agree about Halloween. Stick something cute outside and rent a Happy movie
Lots of hugs and love!! Shannon Patterson
Well, Geri, you know we all wanted the blog to go on, just so we could "talk" to you, but we were all hoping it would be just "chit-chat" about resuming your life, not about another challenge with your body. You also know we will ALL be there for you, anytime, anywhere...just whistle.
This, too, shall pass....I love your spirit! Hugs, imo
The Rainbow is God's Promise....
The rainbow is God's Promise
of hope for you and me,
And though the clouds hang heavy
and the sun we cannot see,
We know above the dark clouds
that fill the stormy sky
Hope's rainbow
will come shining through
once the clouds have drifted by!
Geri,
For evey cloud you see today, may you find a rainbow waiting for you tomorrow! I love you! Cheryl
Geri, I am so sorry that you had to get this kind of news, but you are a warrior and will win this battle. You are everyones hero and with your words opening up to so many of the things you have gone through has helped so many also. You are constantly in my thoughts.
I know getting this news if rough, and Ward actually got the same kind of bad news also. He was in remission with his colon cancer, but it now has returned. But, he is like you and will fight it and win, and stays positive on his out look of the future. Take care Geri. I will be thinking about you. Love, Katie
Geri, that poem says it all and you have so many people cheering you on with their love and prayers and support - keep that wonderful attitude of yours....I can't wait to see you in November!!! Love, Jamie
Hi Geri! My prayers will continue! Life definitely has a way of sharing it's challenges with us but we are more than conquerors...! My sister is still fighting and I know you will also! Miss you and look forward to seeing you soon. Stephenie
Post a Comment