I had an amazingly great weekend. All of the sudden on Friday, a ton of energy kicked in. I practiced going out to dinner this week (actually went out 3 times) to see if I could really sit for a couple of hours and make it through a business dinner I have on Tuesday night. Also I really tried to string more than 3 hours together without falling on my face for 4 more. Saturday I was like a mad woman. I started about 9:45am watching a tennis match in the neighborhood and then ran errands for a few of hours. While I was in and out of the house I really did not stop until 3:30 to watch the end of the Alabama game with Bob. About 4:30 I "rested" for about an hour but did not really nap. After that I was showering getting dressed, as our friends Debbie and Joe, Susan and Karl were coming over for a drink first, and we were all going out to dinner. Susan and Karl were actually staying at our house Fri and Sat as they were having some work done on theirs so we went out to dinner Friday night too. Both nights we did not get back home until after 10pm. I was pretty tired, but I had basically been going all day so it was great.
The next morning Susan and I went for a walk and we may have walked about 1/2 mile (at the most). I had actually gone up and down our steps 4 times (round trip) before the walk-- using different feet. Okay --it was really my same old feet, but instead of always using my right foot to lead going down each step and the left one going up, I alternated feel on each step. I had not been able to do that since surgery. I did have to really use the banister to transfer some weight as I cannot put all my weight on my right foot, but I was able to do it.
However, I cannot tie my right shoe. Because of the surgery and them cutting a lot of my hamstring I guess, I cannot lift that foot very high and I cannot bend over enough to reach my foot. So, thank goodness for Bob, he has to tie my shoes on that foot. Since we are still trying to heal my wound, I don't think I am supposed to be trying to stretch to increase my flexibility to fix that just yet. Ihear there are some New Balance mules I need to get that don't require tying and are good to walk in. I see the surgeon on Wednesday so I am guessing we may talk about some physical therapy that day. I am trying not to think about the visit and especially the CT scans that go along with it that day. It will be soon enough and we will see how I get though the first round (of about 10 years of scans) soon enough! If all goes well, then Bob and I will hopefully be able to start making plans to visit his family in England during Christmas.
My sister-in-law Michelle (Michael's wife), her daughter Elise and her Mom Peggy, all came to visit and stayed here last night. It was fun having them here, and I actually cooked dinner for everyone -- Bob grilled the fish and was in charge of dishes! Anyway, I was able to do a lot more than I expected. I was pretty wiped out about 9:15 so all the girls just ended up in our bedroom talking till almost 11. So I have been able to string a few days of long hours together and managed so far. I am tired by the end of the evening but just about anyone would be. I feel like I am making some progress here. My biggest challenge now, if CT scans go well, it to just get this wound healed. It is mostly out of my control (except eating right and taking the Vit C and Zinc) but even though I have no wound vac, Bob still has to change my bandaging every to 12 to 24 hours. That makes traveling for work overnight almost impossible. We've got one night away this week but it is only 20 minutes away. I don't think I can take him to South Ga for 3 nights. I know this is a temporary setback and am hoping it will all be over in 2 to 3 weeks. But we are making progress!
Monday, October 15, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
Such wonderful progress! I am so happy for you. Thansk for sharing.
Wahoo! We're celebrating now that we've read this update. So great to hear of the festivities this weekend and all the pleasant tiredness at day's end.
Lots of love,
Kellie, Peter, Jacob and Sam
Geri, You sound great!! So excited for you to be feeling better. Don't overdo it though. I am praying about your upcoming visit with surgeon. Praying that your strength stays with you. So glad you had good family to visit with..and thrilled that you and Bob may get to take trip to England for holidays. Keep it up.
Love Angie's little sis,
Tina :)
Geri: I was so happy to read such good news. Hoping that all news will be good for you in the future--except, of course, the day Alabama plays Auburn ;) !!! Love, Angela
Post a Comment