I grew up with sort of a "work hurt" mentality. Even if I was sick, I sucked it up and went to work anyway. With the exception of surgical procedures, etc., I'll bet I have not called in "sick" 5 or 6 times in 25 years. I don't have kids to pick up a lot of bugs and bring them home, so I am sure that helped too. To have a stupid fever just bowl me over like this really makes me mad!
Today, I went to the clinic for another round of Vanq - one of the two antibiotics I am taking till they can figure out what is wrong with me. This one has to be administered through an IV. While I was in the middle of the round, they got the cultures back, and those that Vanq fights were negative, so they stopped the IV. I got to go home, and I do not have to go back till Monday. They did determine that my port is not infected, which is really good news. They may have had to take it out and put it in on the other side; however a pain, that would have given me matching slits in my chest, I guess. I seem to be either responding to this other antibiotic, or I just have a viral infection that has run its course. Either way, my fever is down (normal tonight) thank goodness. Now I just have to stay healthy till Monday so I can get round 2 started.
I think I am about to go into "Howard Hughes mode". Bob thinks it is about time. I do not want to do anything to expose myself to any kind of germ that could possibly delay chemo again. So I am going into hybernation for a while. Now may be time to sell the Publix stock, cause I will not be going back for a while. I guess with the stock market slide a couple of days ago, it may be a little late to sell!
I am not quite at the point of getting all my visitors to wear a mask yet, but I have some, and I can see it coming. So if you come over, please don't be offended if I greet you at the door and hand you one. No more hugs or handshakes either, I'm afraid.
I feel about a million times better than I did on Tuesday, but I am still getting tired really easily. This is disappointing to me because chemo was 21 days ago, my counts are good, and I was counting on feeling really good this week. I have not had much appetitite this week and have lost about 10 or 12 pounds. I don't think I have ever had 103F fever, before so I am just shocked at what it can do to you -- that coupled with chemo I suppose is a double whammy. I have been able to get some work done - again in my pj's and sometimes in the bed, but it works. I am planning on a really good day tomorrow - but all inside my house. Just a little more than 2 months ago, I thought I was running the world, or my little corner of it, from my company car, laptop and cell phone. It is strange how things can change so quickly and without warning. So for a while, I will have to just run my world with the phone and laptop. Will I ever get to show off this wig? I will at least model it for you if you come by, but no touching!
Thursday, March 1, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Geri, pleeeeeze take care of yourself, you are my inspiration....I've had a rough week, or so I thought....until I read your blog....keep up the good spirits and do what you have to do....all will understand....reality will kick us in the ass, but you are kicking back just as hard. I think of you all through the day, think of those good ole Bonita Avenue Days, no worries huh? Love you so much,
Jamie
Geri:
Glad to hear you are going to take it easy -- it was wearing me out just reading about your daily routine as a patient! It's always hard for "in charge" folks to slow down, even when our body tells us we'd better. Publix will still be there when you feel like hitting the aisles!
Your wig is beautiful and the cut and color is perfect for you. Much love --
Sally
Geri: I think I heard somewhere that warm chocolate chip cookies ward off infections. Love, Angela
Post a Comment