Thursday, August 16, 2007

Perceptions

My how my perceptions have changed. I never knew I could get excited about getting my teeth cleaned but I am. I usually set my dental appointments up a year in advance -with 2 cleanings a year. I have a certain hygenist I want to make sure I see, and I always like the 8am appointment so I can get right on to work. You cannot get your teeth cleaned or worked on during chemo as they are too afraid you will get an infection. Because of this, I had to miss my Feb cleaning. I noticed on my calendar this morning that I had another set up for Tues, Aug 21. I have been out of chemo for 4 months, but am starting again the following week. I was so happy when I called Dr. Saba (chemo doc) and he decided it would be ok for me to go this time. I am sure this in not the most exciting thing you've read today, but it sure made mine. I have really learned to appreciate the little things!

I had a CT scan on my chest and abdomin today. It always makes me nervous and scares me that they will find something. I know I am going to just have to learn to live with this as I will be having these things regularly from now on. It is a good thing, however, and maybe we will be able to catch anything else very quickly. I just don't want to live in fear. I guess we all have that to contend with.

After the scan Bob and I went to my office. I needed to sync my Palm Pilot with my laptop (although I did not double check to make sure it actually worked right). It had not been working correctly at home. It was soooooo wonderful to be there and see everybody. It was everything I could do not to cry. I miss being "normal" so much, and while it was great going in and everyone making a fuss over me, I cannot wait till I am there so much they don't even notice me! Also, I went wigless! I am not "bald" as my hair is about a 1/2 inch long. I am almost liking it this way (especially over a hot wig or hat in this weather). I know I will like it a lot better when it is about 2 inches longer.

I figure my hair will be this length again by mid January after falling out again around Sept 10 or so. I dread going through all that again but at least I know it will grow back. It actually needs a little trim around my neckline now --what a joke. Syd and I were supposed to do that this weekend but we forgot. I will get my 14 year old neice Landon to help me with it when Michael, Michelle, along with neices Erin and Elise come for a visit Sat and Sunday. Landon has really good "hair sense" - something her Aunt Geri (GiGi is really what they call me) does not. I am really excited about their visit. Syd, Jim and Zola may come for the evening as well. It will be such a great day for me to have them all hear.

After going to the office, Bob and I came home to recharge (my body as well as my wound vaccuum). We made a quick run to Home Depot and Pottery Barn looking for a kitchen rug but still no luck. We were in and out of both places and back home in 30 minutes. I really started feeling bad and tired but I am sure it was the heat. I am fine now but I have no idea how all of you are handling this miserable weather!

Mugascan (heart) at 1:30 and then my friend Sharon comes to stay with us Friday night. Nurse Kathy will be here at 9am, and I will find sometime to work before and after all this.

So I've felt pretty good 2 days in a row now! I am going for 3 tomorrow!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hope Friday is a great day for you! Keep on hanging in there and it will all be back to normal before you know it. My internet service has been out for most of the week - lines were cut in Ga. and I have missed reading your blogs....Tell Michael and Syd hi for me - wish I could see you sometime soon. You're still in my prayers and thoughts daily and you still amaze me....love, Jamie

Anonymous said...

So glad to read about your "good" day. They have been few and far between. Hopefully Tomorrow, Tomorrow, just a day away, will be a great day as well.
So glad to have the blog to check on you and not keep your phone ringing off the hook. Dr. Bob has enough going on than to be chatting with me.
All sounds good, hugs, kisses, lots of prayers & Love Jackie & Mac

Anonymous said...

Hi Geri,

Sooooo good to hear that you're improving so much. It's about time you were starting to feel better!

Just take good care of yourself!!!
You're just awesome!

Love to you and yours,

Vickie Hayes

Anonymous said...

Geri so excited you a feeling a bit better!! You were due that. So glad you could get out a little too. Your gonna ace this next chemo like a pro!! You are so close to the end I so hope. Your are still so very brave and so very strong!! Bravo for you going without your wig, hat etc...Even if it does fall out again it will come back beautiful!! Get some rest enjoy your family when they visit...and I am still praying BIG!
Angie's little sis,
Tina :)

Anonymous said...

Geri, hope your week-end was a good one and that you are feeling better and better. Keep us all posted this week and take care of yourself! Thinking of you always, Jamie