Tuesday, April 24, 2007

Fairly good for Monday -- minor complication

I felt so good going in for counts and to see the Chemo Doctor Monday. Since I had gotten blood, fluids and potassium on Friday, I figured I would have a short visit and be home by my Monday 10am conference call. Bob and I both forgot to bring our cells phones, and I never even considered the laptop. So I was shocked when they told me I needed potassium, and we did not even get out of there till about 2:30pm. I have said all along you cannot plan past 15 minutes with these guys. Things (my body I guess) are always changing.

However, as soon as they gave me the postassium, they took out the PICC line. Now, other than some gauze string in my port, (we are probably down to about 14 inches, pulling out an inch a day) I have no forgeign medical things in my body at all for the first time in months. Here is something pretty gross about the PICC line, and I am so glad I did not know it till it was gone. I knew I had a couple of stitches on the inside of my arm sewing it in. I just thought it was an internal IV and never really thought about size or anything. I did not watch them take it out, but Dr. Bob did. The darn think looks a like a whole piece of angel hair pasta and going up inside my arm to heavens knows what vein. It never hurt when I had i, but I have some little aches now, which I am sure just in my head and will go away. After getting blood on Friday (and looking at it this time) it only took me a couple of days to try catsup again, so I am sure I will get over it. Pasta tonight!

The Chemo doctor is off for a few weeks (taking boards -- hope he is recertifying and not just now passing them!), I will only go in there for blood counts on May 7 and not see him again till May 21. Actually, at this point, I am really in the surgeon's hands unless he passes me off the radiation Friday after the MRI. For a while, the "unknown" was making me crazy, and I was not sleeping. Even with chemo, I knew chemo was still going on. But now I have figured out, whatever is next, is not chemo, so who cares what the unknown is. Things will be clearer by Friday and either option is fine with me-- good thing since it is not really my choice!

Probably will be nothing knew till Friday. I go have my port checked out this afternoon. And unless Cindy's Atlanta driving is eventful (heaven forbid), should be a nothing day. I am just working from home all day on Wednesday and Thursday with an all day conference call on Wednesday -- a meeting at the office I am taking over the phone. So if we do not blog Wed, Thurs, or till even late on Friday, assume the best and nothing new to report. Thanks for checking on me!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Guess we can consider your on "vacation" huh?? Well, I am glad to hear you are feeling a little better than when I spoke to you last week. You are a tough cookie, and I love your sense of humor in your blog. I still haven't started my diet yet, so p-l-e-a-s-e don't lose any more weight!!! You know what I mean :)
We will wait to hear from you Friday ---
Love ya- Michele

Anonymous said...

Hi Geri, so glad to know of your progress. Your keen sense of humor and your very own "Dr Bob" makes for a great team to get you thru this. Cheers to you! Hugs, too, imo

Anonymous said...

Hope all goes well for you and Cindy - how is that adorable Cindy? Keep up that attitude of yours and know we all love you, Jamie

Anonymous said...

Hi Geri,

Hope your week just continues to improve and that it leads to really good news on Friday! We're praying hard in South Alabama!

Love, Vickie

Anonymous said...

Hi Geri, Beleive it or not I just found out about your cancer & am glad to see that you are doing so well...My thoughts & prayers are with you...Stay Strong & keep that smile....May God Bless you all.
Cheryl Matthews