Monday, April 16, 2007

It will be a long day

Usually Monday of Chemo week is a long day, but since I was just having labs and not seeing the Dr I thought we would get moving more quickly. We did not. I guess the lab was slow. They do not start your chemo till they get your labs back. I guess they are looking for certain criteria to make sure you are ok. I will not get out of here before 6:30pm tonight. My numbers were good today except I am really anemic and need some units of blood. I knew I was exceptionally tired over the weekend, so it is not unexpected. I can't get the transfusion until Friday because we cannot interrupt the chemo, so I started taking iron today and sent Bob out to get red meat for dinner. I got a shot that boosts your Red cells today (I get it at the start of every chemo session) and that will eventually help but not as quickly as a transfusion. And that shot really does hurt, stinging all the way down. It is probably a good thing Bob does not give me that one because I would probably hold it against him for a while.

I feel ok, it is just you get this kind of mediciney (pretty sure that is not word) taste in your mouth when the drugs are going through you, and it does mess with your appetite. I have been sucking on hard candy (lemon drops and lifesavers) so now my teeth will rot out. It is all the side effects that get you.

I think I told you the bandaging on the port had caused a problem so they switched it to a paper tape bandage. Well that was breaking me out too so they started "painting" me with this stuff that is really tacky first that should help the paper tape. There are few spots where is really tearing the skin away and it hurts, so I am not sure what the next solution is. I will see those guys tomorrow and maybe we can figure something else out. Funny thing is, my sister Lisa went through the exact same thing when she was in chemo. Since she is also a nurse she probably has a good solution. Yeah- I will ask her!

Nap time!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Geri.
It was great to talk to you on Friday. Hang in there for Round 4 SCG (Super Chemo Girl).It will be behind you shortly. You have always, always had the best attitude and continue to do so!
Love you.
Donna

Anonymous said...

Hey Geri,

This is Brenda with IRM. I was just thinking about you. I am glad to see your spirts are good and you look great. I know it is a long road, I saw it with my Dad, but you look wonderful. My prayers are with you, hope to see you around here soon.

Love
Brenda

Anonymous said...

Hang in there! Love, Angela