Wednesday, April 11, 2007

Maybe it knocked some sense into me

Well today started with a bang. I got a great night's sleep, got up early and started doing some work on the computer. With the tumor on the back of my upper thigh, sitting in a desk chair is not very comfortable. I put a big cushion on it, but it really does not work that well, so I do most of my desk work from the sofa or bed. I needed to print so I needed to be at my desk, and like I always do, I just sat on the edge of the chair. The chair has rollers. It won't take much to paint this picture. I was too much on the edge! The chair rolled back from under me. I hit the floor on my back end, the chair bumped against something else and flipped forward with the back part of the chair hitting me in the head. A sit-com could not have stagged it better. My pride was hurt more than my body (till tomorrow), but all I could do was laugh. Bob slept through the whole thing -- and it was a loud thump.

Luckily, the day got better. So far, for two days in a row, I have only taken one pain pill and the only at bedtime, and I have cut my sleeping medication in half and am getting good sleep. The port place is still uncomfortable but not terrible aching paid. The plastic surgeon my radiologist consulted said as long as I had no infection in the port place it should heal ok. They check it twice a week, and Dr. Bob does a little procedure on it nightly. We discovered yesterday I am a little allergic to the Tacoderm (correction: its Tegaderm, Tacoderm is hard shell tortilla) which is this great bandaging they used on the port site. It is easy to use, waterproof, but I guess not so great if it gives me a rash. That was contributing to some of the pain too and now it feels much better. So, if I continue feeling this good, I am going to try to attend a work meeting on Friday morning in my office for an hour or so, and I can't wait. I feel like a teenager going to a party! I can't figure out what to wear (nothing fits anymore). I have not put make-up on in months, and it will be my first public outing in my wig. What if it falls off? Or worse yet, I start having a hot flash in the middle of the meeting and jerk it off? Fortunately, I am really close to all the attendees so that will help (some may be reading this now - so you are appropriately warned). I just hope I do not fall out of the chair. Actually my last meeting in our office was a couple of hours after my biopsy, and my leg started gushing watery blood all over the 2 chairs I sat in. When they were about to call in a cleaner for the chairs, the company realized none of our chairs had been cleaned in a few years so they ended up cleaning them all - probably over 300 chairs. What a trend setter I am!

I am counting on a good tomorrow - get a little work done but not overdo so I am in good shape for Friday. Jill leaves tomorrow. She has been feeding me well, making me drink and eat. I think Syd and Michael are here this weekend.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Geri ...I am so happy you are getting better rest and the dose of pain meds is down too!! I am thrilled to know that the port site it healing...and maybe will be ok without any plastic surgery intervention etc...God bless you re: fall out of the chair...Me, you and Angie would be a hoot together...I hit my toe on my own coffee table daily. You are indeed a trend setter...by having such a great attitude about all that you are dealing with. So so glad if you get to make the work meeting Friday am. Just don't push yourself too much!! Just remember I am praying big for ya...Lots of love...
Angies little sis,
Tina:)

Anonymous said...

Gosh - this blog sure made me smile. Okay, actually smile OUT LOUD! I don't know what made me smile more - the chair mishap or the hot flash image!

As always, thanks for sharing your experiences in such a warm and frank way. You're amazing.

Best wishes for continued rest, great spirits, and a great meeting on Friday!

Cheers,
Kellie