I realized tonight I had not blogged for a couple of days. There is really nothing new. I am still
pretty uncomfortable. I am better about 45 minutes after I take the pain medication, but start aching again about 3.5 hours into it. I can take the medicine every 4 hours. With some pain meds, including mine, the pharmacy needs a hard copy of the prescription to refill it. The doctor cannot just call it in. Today I realized I would run out over the weekend. Hopefully, I will be better by then, but I just can't count on that. When I needed to refill last
Wednesday, Dr. Miller's secretary said she could not get him to sign the prescription until after 1:30pm as he is in surgery till then. I was going to be at Crawford Long seeing Dr. Saba at 11am but I did not want to hang around till 1:30. First I asked if she could just mail it to me. She said their mail goes to two different places before it actually gets mailed, and it would take a few days before it would even get out of the buidling. She was concerned that I would be out of drugs before I got the prescription. That is a heck of a way to do business isn' t it. If I had been her (I hope) I would have just put a stamp on it and dropped it in a mailbox somewhere-- to heck with hospital mailrooms, but I guess they do not think that way. I ended up just getting Dr. Saba to write the prescription. So, trying to plan ahead, I called Dr. Miller's office today hoping if they went ahead and me the prescription, knowing their crappy mail system, I would have it by the time I needed it later in the week when I run out.
Dr. Miller's nurse, Melissa, who I have not met, called me back today. She told me my records indicated I had gotten a prescription from Dr. Saba last week, and I should not be out yet. I told her that was true, how many he gave me and that I was just trying to get ahead of the game and not run out over the weekend. I was really hoping I would not need them by then, or maybe I would just need a lesser drug but I was just planning ahead. I know she did not mean to, but I did feel like I was having to defend myself like I was a druggie or something. I think after I told her about my understanding of their mailroom system, she understood I was not a junkie downing percoset every 15 minutes. However, the resolution was that on Friday I am to call her early in the day and she would order a different pain medication for me -- one that did not require a hard copy prescription. I am not sure why I have to go the extra steps, but it is "my pain" and I will do so. It seems to me she could just call it into the pharmacy to be issued on Friday and not before, but what do I know. I am just the patient (with no patience I guess).
Thursday I am going to find out the true meaning of "Misery loves company". Janet, a friend and business associate is also recovering from an illness and going through similar pain issues. She lives only a couple of miles from here. Like me, she feels pretty miserable, and she is bored out of her mind too. So on Thursday, I am going to go over to her house, and we are going to just lay around and recoup together. It will be nice to see her and while I hate that she is going through this, it will be fun to spend time with her both knowing what the other is going through to a degree. No makeup, no wig, no nothing. I may even take my Pj's and slippers for a nap.
I try to get out and run at least one errand every day. It gets me out of the bed and makes me get up and get my lungs working. I have to time it just right in the pain pill cycle or I get into trouble. I am not doing anything exciting--just going to Publix, Target etc. Today Susan and I went to Costco. I thought it was going to be a major undertaking but we timed it just right. Did you know you can actually get in and out of Costco in under 30 minutes and spend less than $50. I never knew that was even possible! I needed to get somespecific underthings because of my incision, and after checking a half a dozen other places, everyone kept referring me back to Costco. I accomplished my mission and left with exactly what I needed. The only extra thing I got was a bunch of socks. It certainly was the quickest and cheapest Costco trip ever. Having a handicapped sticker does help and keeps parking from being too much of an issue.
Now that I have bored you with the details of my last couple of days I will sign off. I just wanted you to know I was ok and am keeping the blog alive for a little bit longer. Thanks for hanging in there with me.
Tuesday, December 4, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Hi! My internet has been down so I just caught up with your news....keep blogging - all your fans find your blogs exciting. It's very cold in sunny Florida - got the tree up and remembered something about your Mama taking down a tree - the rabi was coming for visit - fill me in! Sent you a funny email about us baby boomers! Take care, keep on keeping on and hope the pain is easing up! Love, prayers and hugs, Jamie
Geri: I was not at all bored by your blog. I was happy to hear about these issues that you are dealing with now, as opposed to the ones with which you have been dealing. The pain management issue must be so frustrating for you. We are in a society that is trying to deal with the abuse of a few by making it harder for the many who need help quickly and easily. I don't have any anwers, but I sure do have many questions. I'm looking forward to being with you to philosophize. Love to Dr. Bob and you! Angela
Post a Comment