Saturday, December 15, 2007

Staying in touch

There is not a whole lot new to report. I am on different pain meds now - hydrocodone. I can't tell any significant difference in how I feel on this vs the Oxycodone. I believe the new drug is a ""lesser" drug, and I know I do not need a hard copy of the prescription to refill. I was feeling kind of bummed out as I am still as uncomfortable as I have been for the last few weeks. But if this is a "lesser" drug, then perhaps I am better since I am not taking as strong a drug? Does that make sense?

I have a couple of weeks before I need to feel (want to feel) significantly better for our trip to England. Sitting on the plane shoud not really be a problem, but I want to be more active than I have been once we get there. As it stands now, I do things for a couple of hours, then I need a rest. Very boring. We are going to try to go to 2 Christmas parties tonight. I am hoping to be able to last a couple of hours at each. It will be good practice!

I see Dr. Miller on Wednesday. They will xray my lungs first so he can see just what is going on. I am pretty sure my pain is just from having my ribs pulled apart and then cutting me open and taking a couple of chunks out (pleasant, huh?). I will be glad for him to take a look and let me know that I am healing ok and this is just part of getting over surgery. I really want to be released to go back to work -- at least from home since I am probably not ready for a full day of driving around yet. So hopefully, by the time I get back from England that will have been about 7 weeks and should be long enough for me to feel a whole lot better.

I have a full month in January after we get back-- work trips to Boston, Nashville, and St. Simons Island so I am ready to hit the ground running! My body better cooperate.

I will have my 6 month leg MRI with Doc O on January 18 and am a little nervous about that. The appointment just got set up yesterday so it is in the front of my mind. With the holidays, work and our trip, I am sure I will forget about it for a while. Worrying really does no good anyway and is just a waste of time -- that is what I keep minding myself anyway.

Two friends, Peggy and Constance, just got diagnosed with cancer. I can't really get them off my mind, and I keep trying to think of ways I can help them and their families. I can only hope I can provide even a small bit of the emotional support and prayers all of you have provided me. You helped me get through really bleak periods of time and kept my spirits and attitude going in the right direction. That is so much more powerful than you will ever know. If you have some extra room in your prayers, please keep them in mind.

I am going to try to do a little paperwork and finish up the last couple of errands I need to run for our trip and Christmas. Have a good weekend. I will post again after my visit to Dr. Miller on Wednesday.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Geri,

You sound like you are improving daily! All my best to you and prayers for Constance and Peggy as well.

Enjoy the Hoidays!

Vickie Hayes

Anonymous said...

Hi Geri,
I saw Sara at the breast cancer tennis event at the end of October. She filled me in on you. I miss you!!! I have been thinking about you and sending my prayers your way. I too have been diagnosed with cancer...thyroid cancer...I had surgery Nov 5th to remove my thyroid. Now, I am on temporary thyroid medication as they get me ready for my radioactive iodine treatment at the end of January. I will be in isolation for 5 days. Take care of yourself.
Teri Mancuso