Dr. Miller was still shaking his head in amazement as he walked into the patient room
I was waiting in today. He said he sees about 30 sarcoma patients a year who have lesions on their lungs. I was the only one he's had in the last 10 years (out of 300) where the cancer had not spread. I continue to feel like the luckiest person on earth. I think he was surprised when I told him I was ready to go back to work. I think he probably thought maybe the first of the year but we settled on next Monday, Dec 24. He kept looking at me like I was crazy for wanting to go back so early, especially Christmas Eve. I promised I would really just be working out of the house for a few days till we are off to England. He was fine with the trip and gave me a prescription for what he thought was enough pain medicine to get me through it. We are going to try to use Advil or Aleve as a substitute every other time I need it to wean me off. I have to admit I am just used to reaching for a strong pain killer for everything and probably am able to take lesser doses of the heavy stuff. So I am going to try to just use the hydrocodone at night, and of course on the plane.
I found myself getting pretty weepy this week, and I am not sure why. Occasionally I find myself reflecting back over the year, and while I am so grateful for the outcome, it is very disturbing when I think back on all that happened. I have not gone back and read the blog as I just don't think I want to relive a day by day account of everything just yet. Last night
I starting sorting through some things on my desk to get back into the spirit of working. I found my friend Nancy's "story" and had to read it again. Nancy was on the 44th floor of one the World Trade Center towers on Sept 11, 2001. She, thank heavens, was one of the fortunate ones who made it out. When I read through her account of that day again, it made me feel like my ordeal was nothing. While I could do nothing but sob through her "story", when I started thinking about mine, I was all smiles. Sometimes you just have to put things in perspective.
While I am not officially not back at work till Monday, I am going into the office tomorrow to do a couple of quick things and enjoy a holiday lunch with Donna, who has helped me through so much this year. Sometime tomorrow I have to get a pneumonia shot -- doctor's orders!
Other than that I have one or two errands to run before we are off to England. In the meantime, I am just healing and appreciative to be where I am!
Wednesday, December 19, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Geri, hope you and Bob have a wonderful trip to England. Please give my regards to Bob's mother (won't she be please to learn that her son is now a doctor!). Much love, Angela
Geri - I love you and believe you to be a stronger person than I. I had no idea what was happening on 9/11 as I descended the staircase at the WTC. You my dear, had to look at your cancer straight in the face the exact moment that the Dr. told you....you had to face a bigger disaster at that moment! Listen to your Dr and don't try to do too much. Enjoy the little things that life has to offer....remember, 'Grab Life by the Horns...and give 'em Hell!' One day, you'll be able to read back through your blog and laugh and cry and laugh and cry. I haven't read through my 'story' in a long time....I guess when you live through 'it', you don't forget it, and for damn sure, there are times that you don't want to be reminded of it. Am sending you a Xmas card filled with what I've been up to for the past year. You'll get it when you return from your trip. Stay strong and give my best to the Queen a nd her Mum!
xoxoxox
-nancy-
Post a Comment