I got through the whole day without being mad, weepy, etc even though so many of you let me know it was ok for me to feel that way. I had been concerned about taking so many pain pills (by my standards anyway) and the Cigna (my health insurance company) case manager really aleviated those concerns, so I am not trying to hoard them or ween myself off them when I am hurting. They do not affect my ability to function (in a bad way) but help me feel good enough to carry on throughout the day with some normal activity - well at least get out of bed lately.
Tonight was the first time I have had dinner downstairs in more than a few weeks. Most of the time I just didn't feel good enough, and the last several nights I was just tied to the IV since it comes right at dinner time. But we got through by 7:30, and I got to have dinner with Bob like a normal married couple. I felt good enough to do dishes (there were not a lot) and fold laundry. And on the way home from the surgeon, we stopped at Publix, and I actually shopped. I learned that men have to be "taught" how to buy paper products. They kind of buy enough for the moment, and I get enough for the month. Bob has mastered so many things in last several months, that "paper products" was a no brainer, and he got it after just one lesson today.
Hopefully through radiation I will continue to feel pretty good and once I get a little more energy back I may be able to take over Publix duty full time till surgery in early to mid July.
The (port) surgeon thought things were healing well, but it would take a couple more weeks at least. The wound Home Health folks will come out for a few more days before they turn the job over to Bob full time. It still hurts and repacking the wound hurts worse. As it heals, it needs less packing, so I hope each day gets a little better. In the meantime, I will be taking the pain pills just before wound packing time.
I have not talked about hair in a while because I did n0t want to jinx anything. I still have brows and lashes, although not all of them. My head is getting really sensitive and I can tell the hair is starting to grow back a little. I even have a little stubble on my legs. The problem is that in early May it is already too hot for a wig much of the time and even hats, caps and scarves make me sweat. I am not sure I have the guts for the Sinead O'Conner look but I may have to try it out in a few places -- Publix? But then you have to worry about sunburn too. What a pain!
Tomorrow we have a 9am appointment at Emory for a CT scan to get ready for radiation. Normally we do an 1 1/2 to 2 hour IV infusion of antibiotics at 6am. That will not give us enought time to get dressed after and get to Emory during rush hour. So we are going to have to start at 5am. We are going to do the midnight one tonight at 11:30 so we can get some sleep, but tomorrow is going to be hard - at least the morning. We have to be home by noon so we can do the noon IV. And the wound guy comes about 1:30pm. This IV thing is really an inconvenience and scheduling is next to impossible. If I was not able to work from home and if Bob did not work for himself, I do not know how we would handle this. And to make matters worse, my Palm Pilot has quit syncing with my laptop (and I have not felt well enough to figure out the problem yet) so I am really confused about where to be and when, but Bob keeps me straight. That heavens for Bob!
Wednesday, May 9, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
Hi Aunty Geri,
Me and mum have just got the latest news from you blog. We hope that all goes well today. Tell Dr Bob to keep up the good work, we know you're being well looked after. Miss you loads.
Love you lots.
Anna, Jackie and
bbbbbeeeeeeeeeeeeetthany
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
(Bethany typed the kisses and her name!)
Geri, You are so strong and your attitude is great! You certainly keep it together better than the rest of us!!! Bob is a blessing! Hugs and Love to you, Jamie
Geri I just love ya...I know why your one of Angie's dearest friends. The sheer fact that you are still blogging tells me how strong you are. You are doing so awesome!! I pray all the time for you and so do the kids and Thomas. You show me that I have zero, nada, nil complaints. Thank goodness for Bob the two of you make a great team!! You almost need a public relations person to coordinate your schedule. I had you on my mind this am as I thought about all the scheduling you guys have to endure to be where your suppose to be when your suppose to be there and get your IV meds in. Let alone time to sleep, eat, bathe etc...You could bring the Sinead look back..Britney is doing it so hey go for it. We have no Publix in Jackson..so I have to now live vicariously through you when you go but it makes me want one. My Kroger is nothing to get excited about believe me. Take the pain pills when ya need them and I so hope that port area is healed in the fews weeks they are telling you. You are awesome!! Stay strong!! I love that you are kicking this in the butt so to speak!!
Angie's little sis,
Tina :)
Hi Geri,
I am so sorry to hear that you are going through so much still, but things will get better in the long run. When you talk about the cleaning and the packing, it reminds me so much of my husband, when 11 years ago he had emergency surgery as he had a blockage in his small intestine and ended up loosing 2/3 of it. After the sugergy, it got infected, and they had to open it up and let it heal that way.
I want you to know that I read your blog every day even if I do not comment, and I am always thinking and praying for you. But, I have been so busy to comment on all blogs I have read as my daughter is leaving for Iraq today, and the last few weeks has been so chaotic and I have wanted to spend every moment with her.
Hugs,
Katie
Geri and Bob,
Though it probably seems like forever, you have successfully completed a major part of treatment and are ready to move to a next and very important stage.
You are and will continue to do great because you are truly working as a team - a loving one at that and that ladies and gentlemen can't be beat!
Keep on keeping on!
Dawn
Post a Comment