We went to the ID doctor on Wednesday, and evidently the procedure for "soft tissue" infections that are of the nature of what I have always call for 4 weeks of IV antibiotics. When you take them orally about 60% are not absorbed in your system like they are with the IV. Some numbers they looked at indicated that I needed a stronger concentration of the Vanq (the one that lasts 1.5 hours). It was making me nauseaus before and when I started on the new formula Wednesday night it was worse. Also it gives me a headache and makes my teeth hurt. The Doc says that is just part of it. However, I talked to the pharmacist at the Home Health agency and he told me to take Benedryl about 30 minutes before the IV and take Mylanta and that has helped since I started that last night. If I can stay healthy and not pick up any other bugs I will get off all this on the 29th. So I am back to hybernating again. It seems like an eternity, but at least there is a possible end in sight. I start radiation on Wednesday. The first day I go in at 1:30 and then I go at 9:30am Mon - Fri after that - 25 visits I think.
I still have alot of discomfort from the tumor and no one seems to be real concerned about that. They just offer me more pain pills so I am going to take them. I have been waiting till I hurt to take them, but I think I need to just be ahead of the game and "stay on top" of the pain. They did tell me I could put ice on the tumor if that made it feel better and that does help some. Mainly just not sitting on it helps. I try not to lay on my back, but on my side so I am not putting pressure on it. The radiation will help shrink it so I am really looking forward to that!
No company this weekend so we will have a quiet one. I have lots to get caught up on so it will be nice to have a couple of days with no Dr visits and get ready for radiation.
Have a good weekend. Unless there is a change we will probably not blog this weekend. I see the chemo doctor for labs on Monday, the port surgeon on Wed as well as radiation the rest of the week. Radiation only lasts for about 30 minutes in total so the visits will be quick.
By the way, the ID folks said Bob was doing a superior job taking care of my wound!
Friday, May 18, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
So glad to get an update, sorry the IV didn't turn into pills for you...hope the weather there is as pretty as here, cool breezes for your quiet week-end....hoping next week goes well for you. Don't over do - Love, hugs and prayers to you both, Jamie
I think Bob (and you as well) should receive some sort of credit for all you have done/learned in the medical field. Maybe they would shave some time off and he could do med school in less than four years! LOL!
Thinking of you!
Hi Geri,
As much as it's hard to believe and your natural instinct is to fight it - you are right...it's best to take your pain meds before pain sets in. They are more effective that way and staying as comfortable as possible is important.
Wishing you and Bob enjoy a nice quiet weekend...you've more than earned it and have been great keeping everyone up to date on things despite all you both have going on.
Thinking of you always and wishing you both the best!
Dawn
Geri, You and Bob are such troopers!! May you find a place to rest where you are most comfortable and may the radiation go as smoothly as possible with the smallest amount of side effects possible. You remain in my prayers each day.
Love Angies little sis,
Tina :)
Hey Aunty Geri,
Hope that you have had a good weekend. Thinking of you.
Love you lots.
Anna
xxxx
Post a Comment