Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Good news with a little hiccup

Scans today free of tumors in my chest, abdomin and pelvic are so thta is great news. I do have a lot of fluid in my left lung. It is probably a post surgery infection. I was running fever at night after surgery but this fluid did not show up in xrays when I saw Dr. Miller earlier in the month. I will have a simple procedure in the morning to drain the fluid off. They will not even need to put me to sleep, but they did give me a little anti anxiety medicine to take the edge off. Something about someone putting a needle and chest tube in your lung to drain fluid cause my heart to flutter a little. Sister Cindy has had this done to her before and she and Michael assure me it is not a big deal. The doctor promises I will feel a 1000 times better after. I have been very tired and not comfortable, but I thought was just normal post surgical pain to be expected. I think that is a problem with many of us. We are used to dealing with some amount of discomfort and it is hard to tell when it is something else Now that this has been discovered I am sure they will check me to make sure I am all taken care off. They have given me an antibiotic to take for 2 weeks - Cipro. I think that is what they give for Anthrax too so if we have a problem with that I am covered. They will send the fluid to the lab to make sure they have the right antibiotic to treat me, and to check for cancerous cells. However, no tumors so I am pretty certain it will be an infection.
I had a few spot on my liver but at least one of them I have had for years and it has not changed. This is the first time in a long time they have scanned me with contrast, so they are probably seeing things that have always been there. Both Cindy and Michael have these spots so I think it is just a genetic thing.
I really feel good about all this and am not worried. In fact, I am elated there is no sign of additional tumors, so please don't let this worry you either. I will blog tomorrow after it is over and I am not too loopy.
I had myself scheduled out the rest of the week for a business trip. In fact, I was to leave just after my doctor's appmt and head to Milledgeville for the night and then to the Vidalia area until Friday. I tried to get them to at least schedule the procedure for Thursday, so I could go to Milledgeville today and come back tomorrow but they would not do it. Funny, I feel a lot worse now that I know something is wrong, so I guess I am glad I did not go! I am sure it will be a more fun and productive trip when I get this fluid out of my lung.
All in all, pretty good news with a very minor setback. I should be fine and feeling good on Thursday!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm pleased to hear the scans went well and hope that the chest drain wasn't too painful and that it has left you feeling a bit better now. I'm sure you'll be bouncing around those tennis courts in no time!

Best Wishes,
Becky xx

Anonymous said...

Be sure and ask how much the fluid weighed. You could be a size smaller tomorrow night! Keep smiling. Love, Angela