Thursday, July 16, 2009

Update from England

My surgery is scheduled for Monday August 3. I go in July 27 for some tests on my heart, lungs and another CT scan to make sure everything is in working order and can handle the surgery. On July 31, I go to the hospital for some more pre-op stuff and see Dr. Miller, probably to go over what to expect during and after surgery. I am pretty sure I know the routine, so I am hoping for no surprises. I can't decide whether to go back and review my old blogs from the last lung surgery time period as a refresher course. There are just some things I don't think I want to be reminded of so I think I will wait until we at least come home from vacation in England.

We are still here and having a lovely time. It is great getting away from the Atlanta heat. Our weather has pretty much been in the mid 60's but we have not had very much sun. Luckily our best sunny day so far was the day of Bob's Mom's 90th birthday party. We had over 100 people for an open house type party in her garden on Sunday afternoon, and it all came off without a hitch. We've stayed busy with family and friends, and it has been a great distraction for me. Every now and then when it gets a little quiet, I can't help but drift back to what's ahead. We are enjoying our visit, but it is passing much to quickly. We will head back to London on Monday, July 20, and back to Atlanta on the 21st. It is good I will have 6 full working days before surgery, and a couple of weekends at home to take care of some things.

I should be in the hospital about 4 days, and hopefully off work only 3 weeks. Hopefully all will go well, and we can stick to this schedule.

A few of you have asked me about the Sarcoma Walk or how you can make donations to the SE Sarcoma Foundation. The foundation is in the process of making their 501.3.c (?) filing to gain tax deductible status. They can send a letter acknowledging any donations indicating the pending status.
If you are interested in attending the Sarcoma Walk, Friday July 24 at 7pm at Piedmont Park, email Ned Crystal at ned.crystal@gmail.com. or mail donations to:
Southeastern Sarcoma Foundation
c/o Ned Crystal
693 Longshadow Trail
Smyrna, GA 30082

If you come to the Walk, please plan on joining us after at Willys Mexicana Grill on 10th Street and Piedmont. Hope to see you there!

3 comments:

Cheryl said...

So, okay! The worst part is not knowing....well, that sounds good but I suppose that's not really the worst part! But now we have a surgery date and you can plan, your family can plan and your friends can plan.....on a huge party when the biopsy looks good and we get the news that you don't have to do the chemo thing again. Close your eyes and imagine all your friends and family in the same room at the same time getting this news. I don't imagine a security guard would have a hope or a prayer.......I'm sure they would just go ahead and call in the National Guard!
And you know, you are right....you do still owe all of us since the last time! I'll take quick and peaceful healing this time around as my reward! Man, I love you and this just stinks! You know me....the honest feelings have to come out. Instead of starting now on the repair job of hole in the sheetrock on the wall when I heard you have to do this again.....well, I think I'll wait so you can come and help me. Enjoy your few more days of HIGH TEA and come home safely to the others across the pond that love you!

Anonymous said...

Hi Geri. Just got home from The Keys (with Debbi). I was thinking about you during the trip, so I was pleased to read your blog when I got home and find out that you were having fun in England and see that things are all set for your surgery. Can't wait for this next challenge to be behind you, so you and I can plan another fun trip! Love, Angela P.S. Joe and Gina had a baby girl (Emma James) on July 14 (4 weeks premature, but doing mom, dad, Emma, and Chloe are all doing great.)

Anonymous said...

Funny how me and Angie seem to post to you on same days(not planned mind you). This day is almost over, but wanted you to know you remain in my thoughts and prayers. Sometimes the waiting is the hardest part. Have had strep throat and sinus infection so have been down a good number of days, but think the meds I'm taking are working. Even when I don't get a chance to write to you I have not forgotten you!! I am so glad the England trip was good!! You know I'll be keeping up with you!!

Love,
Tina :)