Friday, July 31, 2009

First up!

Today was my pre-admissions stuff. I tried to talk Bob out of going with me today and last Monday too since I was just having tests, and he would be sitting around for 4 hours. but he insisted on coming. What a good guy! I was surprised that even though I had a chest CT scan on Monday and a heart echo test, they still made me have a lung xray and ekg today. I learned that you do look at some different things in each.
After all the tests and a quick lunch, we went to Dr. Miller's office. We met with his Physician's Assistant Jim, who we knew from the last surgery. Jim took my chest tubes out last time after they'd removed the epidural. Everyone who had ever had a chest tube before told me getting them out, although quick, was really painful. I told Jim today I never wanted anyone but him taking out my chest tubes. It was quick and easy, so that is one thing I am no longer fearful of.
Jim was basically just reviewing the procedure and checking me out a bit. I was disappointed that he had not looked at my CT scan because I wanted to know if it had changed -either grown or gotten smaller (fat chance). Jim agreed this would be an easier surgery than before, and was certain I would come through it just fine. He said I would "not like them for a few weeks", so I am pretty sure that means, I am going to be pretty uncomfortable for a while. I am not reluctant to take pain medication, so I know we can keep it under control. He thought if I healed normally, I may be able to play tennis in 6 weeks or so; back to work in 3 to 4.
Everything today was pretty much as expected. I have a couple of work things I want to wrap up that should not take more than an hour or two, and a couple of errands to run, and I am ready to go. I am the first patient on Monday. We have to be there at 5:30 a.m. and surgery will not start till around 7:30. I am glad to be first, but I hate that my great cheering squad has to get up so early. The brochure said you should only have a couple of family members in the waiting aream but I think I am up to about 6 right now - Bob, sister Cindy, Aunt Rhoda, Cousins Gladys and Nan, and friend Mitzi. Last time the group screamed in the waiting area when they found out the spots were benign, and security came up to check things out. I hope they hear good news and want to scream, but hopefully we can make it through this whole thing without anyone getting kicked out of the hospital.
We have dinner plans with family and friends all weekend. I have my Sat morning tennis match, getting my hair taken care of, and trying to cook a couple of more things to freeze. So it is a pretty normal weekend, and we are off bright and early Monday morning. I am having problems with my Blackberry and am having it replaced. That means my cell phone will be out of order for a couple of days Monday and Tuesday, so if you are emailing me or trying to call, you may not be able to get me unless you call the hospital. That is probably a good thing, so it means I really will rest. Bob will blog sometime after I am out of surgery and wake up, so you should have an update after lunch. Keep those prayers and good wishes coming. I am counting on them and you to get me through!
Love,
Geri

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Geri-
Good Luck on Monday! I will check the blog for Bob's update. I know you will be in the hospital for a few days and will check to see if you are up for visitors. If Bob wants/needs a break, I can do a night shift.
We will be thinking of you-
Love you,
Gloria & Carl

Anonymous said...

GERI,
You better believe our prayers have been and will continue to be lifted up for you and Bob for as long as you need them!

Our love and prayers
Jean and Bob

Anonymous said...

Geri: I hope your supporters are so happy that they make so much noise that they all get kicked out of the hospital! You are going to do great. Please rest and take those pain meds. Love, Angela

imok1@bellsouth.net said...

Hi Geri, it's 5:30 PM here on the Gulf, so you are 12 hours from being at the hospital for your next challenge. God grant that it is a short, not-too-painful, process and that your get-well timeframe is just as you blog it to be. You are blessed to have a vast network of friends and family rallying for you. You are so loved. Please stay strong...and funny! Your comedic wit has served you well, and has in fact helped all of us cope. You, in fact, have made us stronger people. Thanks. Bob, hurry to get back to we hundreds who will be waiting to hear some good news.
Hugs, imo
P.S. Geri, your poor 'ol Blackberry probably just plain wore out...you need the new 4 gb!

Anonymous said...

Geri,
I am a classmate of Michaels and still live in Brewton. Cindy Ryland sent an email to many with this link requesting prayer for you. You can trust that there will be many people in Brewton praying for Queen Geri. Tell Mitzi and the others we want to hear the good news all the way in Brewton.

Blessings and Love,
Teresa Turner Lucas

Anonymous said...

Thinking about you this AM!
Love you-
Glo

Anonymous said...

Geri, I am praying for you this morning. Claiming the following for you and Bob Psalm 34:19 "Many are the afflictions of the righteous, but God delivers us out of ALL of them. Amen! I love you. Ms. Dianne.

Anonymous said...

Geri....you are most definitely in my thoughts and prayers....especially today 8.2.09

Sharon McCarthy :)

Anonymous said...

Good Luck Geri! I know you will do fine. Dr. Miller and Jim will take good care of you! I will be thinking of you all day and will send good vibes your way!

-Shay Hamer

Anonymous said...

Hey Geri,

I will be thinking of you today. Please keep us updated!!! You are so stuck with me the pest :) Mike will always be greatful for you bringing me here! hhaahahaha