Friday, June 12, 2009

Not what I hoped for but I got the tee shirt

All this time, I thought you got the 2 year tee shirt from DocO if you were clean after two years. Seems you just get it for just surviving two years. So I did get that and am thrilled to have made that. But the news was not so good. I have a spot on my left long (different side from last time). Evidently it was there 3 months ago but now it is bigger - from 5mm to now 1cm. And it has to come out. Last time I was very lucky that is was not cancer. Most every spot like this on lungs of sarcoma patients is cancer. But I was the exception before and maybe I can be again.

So now I am waiting to hear from my lung surgeon, Dr. Miller to see what happens next and when. This morning is when I had the CT on my chest and MRI on my lung and when DocO discovered the spot. I knew when Andre', the P.A. came in first and told me he had not looked at the scans that something was wrong. Ususally he or a resident come in before DocO and give me a thumbs up so I am not too anxious waiting to hear from Doc O. He started by saying "Your leg looks fine but......". And so it goes. He did say the spot was very close to my treachea (sp) and maybe Dr. Miller could pull it out by going in with a bronchoscope (sp) instead of a full blown thorochotomy. That would be great. The throrchotomy is not a fun surgery. DocO has a call into Dr. Miller about getting me in to see him. The great thing about being a patient with all Docs in the Emory system is that they can all see my scans and reports on the Emory network-so no waiting for files to be sent. I am guess Dr. Miller will just look at my scans on line and decide from there how he is going to proceed. I am hoping once he reviews he will just call me and tell me what is next. If it is a bronchoscope and the recovery is easier - then I hope we get moving on it right away. If I have to do the full throchotemy then I just don't know.

We are supposed to be going to England July 5 for two weeks for Bob's mothers 90th birthday. If it is safe to put off the procedure till after, I 'd like to do that, even if we have to cut the trip short. I have tons of things going on at work-- all good stuff that I am really excited about and I hate to miss any of that too. S0 waiting till after vacation would give me a chance to get some things wrapped up. But of course we will not do that if it puts me in more danger.

So my head is spinning right now and not knowing what is next is driving me crazy. I am not thinking about what this means long term -- and like before my gut tells me it is nothing again. But regardless, the journey is not fun for anyone. It is not nearly as hard on me as it is Bob, our family and friends, and I worry about all that. But all I can do is wait!

In the meantime, I am going to try to get some things done while I am able. Stupid stuff like getting the carpets cleaned, getting the house painted and getting work in good shape and caught up. But first, I am having a massage this afternoon and playing tennis in the morning!

Life goes on. I know you all have me in your prayers, and I am so grateful for the wonderful support you have all given me. I promise to blog when I know what is next. I know I will be okay- just may have some tough days coming. But we have been here before and were just fine. And I got the tee shirt!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well, Geri, this is really not what we wanted to hear. But, once again, I'm feeling like everything is going to be o.k. Sorry you have to go through this. Please try and keep your spirits up! Love, Angela

Anonymous said...

Hey Geri...Angie sent me the link again to the blog. So, I always at the first of each month say a prayer for you. I also am on full time pray warrioring again until this little spot is out etc...and I am feeling confident that no matter what you are in exceptional hands with all your mds!!!!! I thought of you this weekend when we were in Bham. visiting Thomas folks. I would very much like Thomas mom to use Michael as her physician, but I can make no headway there. She is just my mother in law not my mom so...I do what I can. She is not well the dementia is pretty bad, although she has kicked her cancer in the butt completely so far!! Thomas dad has scan every 3 months similar to yours. I will also pray for broncoscopy removal vs. thoracotomy if it must be removed!! Love ya much!!!
Tina :)