Thursday, March 27, 2008

A 3 month break

Like I mentioned last time, my chest xray did turn out to be more significant than I thought. I called Doc O's (my leg surgeon who is now in charge of all my scans) office yesterday to tell them about the results. They had scheduled me for a chest CT and doctor visit April 19. They reviewed my xray and since I got a good report they cancelled my CT and I do not have to go back until June. In June they will do an MRI on my leg (which they do every 6 months) and a CT on my lungs. So I have another 3 months of breathing easier (no pun intended), and can work on living a normal life without too much worry! I forgot my oncologist wanted to see me after Doc O saw me in April, so I guess I will need to schedule an appointment with him soon. I do want him to do some lab work just to make sure the reason I am still tired is just because everything I went through last year and nothing else.

My leg and chest still bother me a bit. I take a non narcotic pain pill a couple of times a day and that seems to help. I think the leg thing is just going to always bother me to some degree, but I can handle that. The chest scar (from the port) is looking much better, but is still ugly. One of my chemo nurses mentioned last week that I would probably need plastic surgery, but I am in no hurry for surgery of any kind. I will just live with it for the moment and stay away from strapless dresses!

Work is still good, and for a really tired person I am putting in a lot of hours -- no wonder I am tired. I do work for 2 to 3 hours each evening just getting caught up on paperwork - business and personal. This weekend we get to work on income tax. Yea! Didn't we just do that? Gosh the year went by quick - but the days went by slowly somehow.

Bob and I started talking about planning our summer trip to England. I really like to go late July to early August because the weather is so miserable here and just perfect there. I keep thinking we should go before my June scans in case there is a problem, but I just can't keep planning my life for things between scans. Bob's mother turns 89 in July, and I hope we can be there for her birthday, so we will start looking for flights etc.

What a difference a year makes! This time last year I was in the middle of 4 rounds of chemo, facing 6 weeks of radiation and surgery, not knowing even more chemo and surgery would follow after that(or the awful wound vac, 4 weeks of IV antibiotics, etc). Planning a summer vacation or even a weekend out of town was not anything we could even consider. Heavens, I could not even sit comfortably in a chair that was not a recliner! I am a lucky girl, and even on my toughest days, I do not have to be reminded of that!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Geri, so glad reports are good and you sound great. The year did go by quickly and I'm glad that it's all behind you!!! When is that Destin trip on your busy schedule? The Spring Break crowds are gone and traffic is at least moving again - good time to come down! Miss you....let me hear from you and take care of yourself! Love, Jamie