I just realized we have not blogged in a couple of days, but there has not really been that much new going on. I had a really great visit with Rochelle and Jan on Tuesday. It was great seeing them and catching up on all sorts of stuff. The rest of the week I've spent going to radiation, working and napping. The radiation does make me a little tired (or is it the pain med?), so I find myself resting a while, working a while, resting a while, working a while, and that is pretty much my day. As I have said many times, uneventful is good.
We saw the surgeon (wound surgeon) yesterday, and he was pleased with how I was healing and Bob's handiwork. We go back in 2 weeks so he can see the final healing, but he says he will release me after that. He bandadged me up in his office, and last night Bob had to re-bandage as it was falling off. Bob did a much better job than the surgeon! I think after I am released I will be able to take a real shower - long and hot. You have no idea what I have had to do to get clean each day. But this should be, for the moment, that last area on m body that can't get wet! Surgery will change all that but I may have a couple of weeks of normal showers!
Today, I met a woman in radiation with lung cancer that has spread many places. A year about they told her she had about 2 months to live. She had aggressive chemo, radiation, etc., and so far she has made it 10 months past the point they thought she would not. She has no supportive family in the area (or any who are in a position to make the effort to help her) and her friends all work, so she drives herself to and from chemo, radiation etc. She just learned in the last few weeks that her tumor size is 300% bigger than it was 3 months ago. And this woman looks great! You would never know she was sick. She takes her pain medication as instructed, and other than feeling tired, she feels ok. She had a great attitude, and I am not sure how she does it. I feel so badly for her--probably worse than she does for herself. It helps you put things in perspective when you see someone in a much worse situation, yet they are hanging on and fighting for everything--and mainly fighting by herself. Ironically she works (or did) for an insurance company. I have not been able to get her out of my head today.
We had our normal Thursday meeting with the radiation doctor and after they called my surgeon to get things started for surgery. The surgery will now set up a time for chest CT scan and for an MRI to get ready for surgery. I guess when I hear those dates they may be able to give me an idea of surgery dates. Some days it seems as though it has taken forever to this point and other days it seem just like yesterday. It is good to hear them making plans for the next step because I feel there is starting to be a light at the end of the tunnel.
I was just talking to my sister Cindy about staying with them in Tuscaloosa for the AL-GA game Sept 22. That seems like it is a million years away. But when we did the math I will realized I may still be in a surgery recovery mode or in the middle of my last batch of chemo. We made a temporary reservation at their house and for their extra tickets "just in case" I am up for it. It is great to have "plans" to think about!
My high school friends Kitty and Cindy are coming for a couple of days early next week, and it will be great to have a long visit with them. It just started storming here, and Bob hates for me to be on the laptop during thunderstorms so I feel a little power nap coming on!
Thursday, June 14, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
I am so glad you are having a very uneventful boring few days! You deserve them! Relax, sleep, relax some more...
I've been thinking about you.
Maybe in a few weeks Haley and I can bring Wyatt by to meet you?
Love you-
Gloria
By the time you just get this, just 8 more radiations--yea! You're reservations are in for Al/Ga whether you can or cannot make it. I am so proud of your courage and strength and amazed that you've actually learned (by force) to do nothing!!! Who's doing your "errands" anyway?
Love you, Cindy
Hi Honey:
I check on you about twice a week.
I am glad you are doing better.
My daughter is a nurse and she said that your medication is for pain MANAGEMENT. The doctor will let you know if you are taking too much. Patients will heal faster and stay stronger if they are not in pain. Let me know if you need anything. When you are feeling better let me know and Brenda and I will come see you. You are in my prayers.
Debbie Cauthen.
Post a Comment