I am so sorry that it has been so long since I blogged. I hope you all know by know that is usually good news! Things are busy as ever. After our great trip to England for Christmas, we've hardly stopped long enough to catch our breath. We both have been busy at work and just normal stuff! What a great feeling!
The other day I actually had to look at the calendar to see when my next scans are. Ususally that day is just carved in my brain, so I must be getting over the anxiety. I heard it would get better, but I was showing no signs of that till now. Check on me again March 12, before scans on March 13, and I may be feeling a bit differently.
We went to a sarcoma fundraiser for Emory at Pizza Fortunato in Smyrna last week. All the proceeds did actually go directly to Dr. Gina D"Amato's research group. She is the chemo oncogist now at Emory totally dedicated to Sarcoma, and she is doing all sorts of testing to find better ways to treat us and help save the lives of sarcoma patients. She is really well known in her field, and we are really lucky to have her here in GA. In fact, Emory is about to get some sort of certification that designates them as one of the top cancer centers in the country. Hopefully new treatments will be less severe and more effective. So if you are ever looking for new places to make donations, this is the spot. It all goes directly to research. When I get the address, I will post it. Most of the people there were from my support group, our doctors nurses, and friends and family of other sarcoma patients. It was fun to be with all these folks in a more casual environment. They had a silent auction that raised a good bit of money, and all the food and drink proceeds that night were contributed. Really great pizza too if you are ever in that area. Our friend Mitzi went with us and she won her bid on a UGA Mathew Stafford and Noshan Marino autographed football. I won mine on a massage (of course) generously donated by Maria, my massage therapist.
I had seen Dr. D'Amato at a meeting before but never met her since she came to Emory after my chemo treatments were over. Ironically, I discovered she is good friends with Roxie, one of my workmates who surprisingly was also at the event, and she introduced us.
Dr. D'Ammato and both agree we hope we never see each other again, unless it is at a party. I now only see my surgeon, Dr. Oskouei (who was there too) and he orders all my scans and I never see the oncologist, as long as my scans are clear. I think others who had surgery at places other than Emory, are managed by Dr. D'Amato, and she orders their scans.
We are going to visit our friends Debbie and Joe in Sarasota for a long weekend on Thursday. Also, Bob is going back to England a week or so after my scans. He was not able to go for very long at Christmas since I had scans in mid December. So I bribed him to get a list of things I want done around the house with a trip home for a couple of weeks if he finishes his "honey do" list. So far, nothing has been checked off the list yet. But somehow he always manages to complete before the deadline, but I do keep adding to the list!
I promise to blog again after the March 13th scans. Thank heavens, life is uneventful right now and that is just fine with me! Happy Valentines Day!
Saturday, February 14, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Hey- I thought Iwould just check and see the latest news on the blog since we can't seem to get together.
I will be thinking about you next week!
Gloria T
Post a Comment